Public Service Officer or Employee's Child Survivor Grant Program

This program provides tuition assistance to certain public employees and their families if the employee is killed or permanently and totally disabled in the line of duty.

Am I Eligible?

To be eligible as an initial or renewal student, you must:

Public safety officers include firefighters, police officers, capitol police officers, parole officers, probation officers, state correctional employees, water safety officers, conservation officers, park rangers, or highway patrolmen employed by Missouri or a political subdivision of the state.

A permanent and total disability is a disability that renders the person unable to engage in any gainful work.

If you are a dependent child, you will remain eligible through the semester in which you turn 24, unless you have already received your first bachelor's degree by that time.

How much can I receive?

The maximum semester grant amount will be the lesser of the following:

If you transfer to a different school, your award amount may change based on the tuition at the school to which you transfer.

Awards are provided based on funding availability and are made based on the earliest application received dates. Historically, there has been enough funding to pay all eligible applicants.

Awards are not available during summer terms.

How can I apply?

Download the Public Safety Officer or Employee's Child Survivor Grant Program Application here, or contact the MDHE. Return the completed application to: Missouri Department of Higher Education, Attn: Public Safety Officer Survivor Grant, P.O. Box 1469, Jefferson City, MO 65102-1469.

There is no application deadline; however, early submission of the completed application is encouraged. Some sections of the application must be completed by a third party.  Read the application instructions carefully to ensure all sections are completed by the appropriate party when required based on whether you are an initial, renewal, or transfer student.

How will I know if I am eligible?

The MDHE will provide notice to you of your eligibility. The school you are attending determines final eligibility at the time the grant funds are requested each semester.

How will I receive my award?

At the beginning of each semester your school will certify that you are enrolled full time and meet the other eligibility requirements. The certification process will typically take about three weeks. If your school verifies you are eligible, the MDHE will send your award to your school and they will deliver it to you. Generally, you should receive your fall payment by mid-September and your spring payment by mid-February.

How do I renew my award?

The MDHE sends applications to renewal students in late spring or early summer each year. You can also download the application or contact the MDHE for an application at (800) 473-6757, option 4.

How do I transfer my award?

You may transfer your eligibility to any participating school. If you choose to transfer to a different participating Missouri institution between semesters, you must complete another application.