Information about and excerpts from each type of initial application.
- To operate a school and/or offer instruction in Missouri: DHE500A
- To recruit students from Missouri: DHE600
Effective February 28, 2013, schools submitting an initial application for certification must include a check or money order in the amount of $200, payable to the Missouri Department of Higher Education-Proprietary. This non-refundable fee will be credited toward the applicant school's initial certification fee. Your application will not be placed in the queue for review until the application fee has been paid.
Approval to operate a postsecondary education institution in the state of Missouri is a three-step process.
- The first step in the approval process is the submission of an application for certification. The complete application for certification to operate a school in Missouri is not available online. In order to receive a complete application for certification to operate, you must contact the MDHE and request the necessary materials. You may submit your application request via telephone or by submitting an application request form.
It is important to note that the review process takes a minimum of 120 days after the application reaches the MDHE. Care and diligence in the completion of the application will usually result in a more prompt reply. The MDHE encourages you to study the rules and regulations for the certification program and all instructions before attempting to complete the application.
- After the approval of the application, the second step of the process is the submission of a security deposit. This commitment of financial resources is for the purpose of student indemnification and to ensure compliance with specific certification standards. It must be maintained for as long as the school is certified to operate. You will receive additional information and instructions concerning this requirement once the application has been approved.
- The final requirement is payment of the certification fee. Payment of this fee will be requested after the approval of the application and submission of the security deposit. The initial certification fee is $500 for all schools. Payment of the fee will not be accepted until all other parts of the process have been completed.